In this article, I will tell you about Aunt Jemima Cornbread recipe. This classic Southern dish has been enjoyed for generations and remains a favorite for its fluffy texture and rich, buttery flavor. Your whole kitchen will smell amazing every time you make cornbread.
Best Aunt Jemima Cornbread Recipe: Prepare to Be Addicted!
Cornbread has long been a staple of Southern cuisine, and Aunt Jemima cornbread recipe is a testament to its popularity. This simple yet satisfying dish can be served with chili, soup, or barbecued meats. Its golden brown crust and tender pieces make it a crowd-pleaser at any gathering. Plus, it’s incredibly easy to make, even for beginners!
Vegetable oil: Vegetable oil makes cornbread moist and tender. However, if you want an even more savory flavor, you can substitute bacon grease.
Flour and Cornmeal: It is important to maintain the right proportion between flour and cornmeal. For this it is easy to remember the ratio of 1:1. This balance ensures that your cornbread has the perfect combination of flavor and texture.
Feel free to experiment with the ratios to get different results. If you like the pungent taste of maize, then increase the amount of maize flour, adjusting the flour accordingly.
Milk: Adding milk makes cornbread incredibly moist and creamy.
Egg: All you need is one egg, this single egg will make your cornbread exceptionally light and fluffy.
You will need the following ingredients to make Aunt Jemima Cornbread Recipe:
- 1 cup Aunt Jemima Self-Rising Yellow Corn Meal
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Grease an 8-inch square baking dish or cast iron skillet with butter or cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 1 cup Aunt Jemima Self-Rising Yellow Corn Meal, 1 cup flour, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. mix well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together 1 cup milk, 1/4 cup vegetable oil, and 1 large egg.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until well mixed. Avoid excessive mixing.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish or skillet, spreading it evenly.
- Place the dish in the preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Once your Aunt Jemima Cornbread Recipe is out of the oven and has cooled slightly, it’s time to serve and enjoy! Here are some serving suggestions to make your cornbread even tastier:
- Serve hot with butter or honey for a little sweetness.
- Pair it with your favorite chili, stew, or barbecue dish.
- Cut cornbread into squares or wedges and serve with bowls of soup.
- Use it as a base for delicious Cornbread Stuffing during the holiday season.
Health Benefits of Cornbread
Cornbread is undeniably delicious but it also offers some health benefits:
- Good source of fiber: Cornbread contains dietary fiber, which aids digestion and promotes a healthy gut.
- Provides essential nutrients: It is a good source of vitamins and minerals including iron, magnesium, and phosphorus.
- Gluten-Free Alternatives: For individuals with gluten sensitivity or celiac disease, cornbread can be made with gluten-free cornmeal.
Read More Also – Smoked Salmon Recipes Breakfast
Read More – Chicken Pakda Recipe
Q1. Can I use different types of cornmeal for this recipe?
- While the Aunt Jemima Self-Rising Yellow Corn Meal is recommended for an authentic taste, you can experiment with different cornmeal varieties to suit your preference.
Q2. Can I make this recipe without eggs?
- Yes, you can substitute the egg with 1/4 cup of unsweetened applesauce or mashed bananas for a vegan-friendly version.
Q3. Can I add additional ingredients to the batter?
- Absolutely! Feel free to incorporate chopped jalapenos, cheese, or corn kernels to add a twist to the classic recipe.
Q4. How should I store leftover cornbread?
- Place the cooled cornbread in an airtight container and store it at room temperature for up to 3 days. You can also freeze it for longer shelf life.
Q5. Can I double the recipe to make a larger batch?
- Yes, simply double the ingredients and adjust the baking time accordingly.
Finally, Aunt Jemima Cornbread recipe is a delicious dish that brings the authentic flavors of the South to your table. With its fluffy texture, golden crust, and irresistible flavor, it’s no wonder this recipe has stood the test of time. Whether you are serving it as a side dish or enjoying it alone.
Read More – Chicken Salad Chick Broccoli Salad Recipe